Saturday, May 3, 2008

Sunday Scribblings - Family - 5/04/08

This week's prompt is "Family".




Warmth when it is cold outside
Smells of chicken frying
Bandages on playground wounds
A hug when I am crying

Proud applause, forgotten lines
A rabbit in a a 3rd grade play
Trying to guess what’s beneath the tree
Long before Christmas day

Risking grievous bodily harm
By wearing brother’s clothes
Giving mother dandelions
She accepted as a rose

Inspecting sister’s first boyfriend
And teasing her for years
Striking out to lose the game
Dad wiped away the tears

But he doesn’t give up on me
Or let me lose my nerve
He pitches to me for hours
‘til I learn to hit the curve

In a hard and hateful world
Where no one seems to care
When I feel I have no friends
My family’s always there

Waving hands and tear-filled eyes
At the airport departure gate
Goodbye to one that’s leaving
It’s those moments we all hate

Though we scatter ‘cross the globe
We’re still of the same heart
And we are still a family
Though we’re many miles apart


No comments:

Post a Comment